[at-l] gear list for AT thru hike

TrailR at aol.com TrailR at aol.com
Wed Feb 7 11:29:00 CST 2007

In a message dated 2/5/2007 5:20:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
kirbyinanutshell232 at yahoo.com writes:

Below is  my gear list for my 2008 AT hike from GA>ME. Please feel free to
give  advice, feedback, what should i add, what should I remove, ETC.

Kirby
GA>ME 2008
A Journey To Inspire

Backpack (At  least 3,500 cu.in): $120.00 Cabela’s XPG™ 4000 Ultra light
Internal Frame Pack
**
Used a ULA - P2.  pretty light
Hiking poles? Almost everyone seemed to use them, even if they
started without them (I used Leki Super Makalu Core Tek - PA's).

Tent: $120.00 Cabela’s XPG ultra light weight 1 person  tent
Sleeping bag liner: $55.00
Ground Cloth*:$15.00
**
Used house wrap (small piece)

Sleeping Pad: $45.00 therma-rest sleeping pad
Backpack cover:  $30.00
Gators: $30.00
**
Carried them, didn't use them much

Nylon Cord: $10.00
*caribiner to hook to food bag

Backpacking alcohol stove: $50.00
Stove Fuel:  $60.00
Backpacking Pot or Pan: $55.00
Eating Utensils:  $3.00
*
Just used a spoon

Hiking Boots or Trail Shoes: $80.00(if current ones do not  fit)
Sandals or Water Shoes/Crocs: $35.00
2 Pairs (at least) of  Synthetic or Wool Socks: $70.00(including sock liners)
Clothing:  $500.00(includes rainwear, hats, etc.)
Gloves (type per environment):  $20.00
Biodegradable Soap:$10.00
*
Never used it. Washed in town, cleaned pots in town

Duct  Tape or Equal Equivalent: $7.00
Sunglasses*: $15.00
*
Yup

Pack  Towel: $20.00
*
Nope

Lighter:$10.00
*
2 bics

Empty large water bottles for extra water on trail: no  money
Water Purifier or Purification Tabs/Drops: $85.00 Aqua  Mira
*
Awesome stuff

First Aid Kit: $80.00 (First Aid Booklet/Guide, Antiseptic,  Anti-diarrhea,
Ibuprofen, benadryl, Gauze Pads, Moleskin, Tweezers, Burn  Treatment Kit,
Adhesive Tape, Safety Pins, Sun Burn Treatment, Snake Bite Kit,  Vitamins, Blister
Kit)
*
I carried no snake bite kit (even though I have one)
I carried lots of drugs, and tapered my first aid kit down to a minimum on
the trail (duct tape & band aids, purrell, pills). Never really got  many
blisters

Bug  Repellant: $7.00
*
NJ, NY, CT, VT

Trowel: $5.00(buy online)
*
Used heel, stick, rocks instead

Toilet Paper: $10.00
Sewing Kit (Assorted Needles & Thread):  $5.00
*
One needle & floss

Headlamp: $30.00
Batteries (Appropriate per equipment):  $30.00
Backpacking Knife or Multi-tool: $25.00
Used a SMALL swiss army (the one inch long one with scissors,
tooth pick & tweezers)

Compass/ Whistle: $12.00
*
No compass, hard to get lost

Plastic Bags: $20.00
*
Used lots of Hefty bags to keep inside of pack items dry.

Total cost for first section: $2,155
Food:  $2,000.00

Everything else that will come up on trail:  $1,250.00(laundry, hostels,
hotels, restaurant food, mail,   ETC..)
Plane Tickets to Wisconsin: $120.00(Air Tan Airways)
Any shuttle  service to the mountain: $100.00
Emergency money: $500.00

*Phone card
Credit card

Trail Maps (I like maps & profiles, some people don't)
guide books (pieces of data book, wingfoots book * companion.
Only the pages for the section I was doing, mail dropped pages
for each section). AT guides mostly not useful, except for
occasional water sources not in the other guides.

**
Good luck & enjoy!

Hotdog AT 03