[at-l] Measuring Wheels

Art Cloutman art at crystalacresnh.com
Tue Feb 13 10:42:04 CST 2007

Actually, Del Doc did not use a wheel.  He used a GPS monitoring
device, very heavy unit, during his hike in 2002 and 2003.  His wife
supported him by driving the route and picking him up every day.  He
had a computer into which he down loaded his data each day.  He
needed help with carrying extra batteries for his equpment which
registerd hundreds of readings in the course of a days hike.  I had
the honor to carry his batteries and water and extra gear across
Franconia Ridge during that hike in 2003.  I believe he had to quit
in Maine in 2003 because of an injury.  He had completed a GPS
gathering thru hike previously but the equipment he had used was not
as accurate as his last hike which he did over two years.  He was
planning to donate the data he gathered to ATC.  I don't know how
that all ended.  As far as I know only a part of Maine remained to be
recorded.  Del Doc was the official Doctor of the ATC.  A delightful
man.  I regret that i did not have more time to help him.  He asked
me to finish the trail with him but I could not afford the time since
I was planning an AT thru hike in 2004.

Gabby Art

>I believe a hiker named, "Del Doc" from New Jersey/Delaware? had almost
>completed the trail with a measuring wheel.  Sorry to say that he passed
>away within the last two years.  If I remember correctly, John 'O
>Mahoney had more information, possibly?  The ATC, www.atc.org or ALDHA
>www.aldha.org might be able to share more insight.  Contact Laurie
>Pottieger at the ATC.

Life is Good!!!