[at-l] Measuring Wheels (More)

Bob C ellen at clinic.net
Tue Feb 13 22:54:52 CST 2007

I believe a measuring wheel more accurately measures the trail as a hiker experiences it. I forget the name of the wheel I use. But it is a large wheel that clicks a counter every foot. I think it measures around five feet or more with each rotation. What's the formula for circumference? I forget. Pi (3.1416) times the wheel's diameter?

I have never used a gps to measure a trail, though I suspect its inaccuracy is offset by being much easier to use than a wheel. Also I don't think a small diameter wheel would work for trail conditions. A large wheel will roll over everything. A small wheel, it seems to me, would be constantly fetching up on rocks and blow downs.

I suspect the small wheel versions are mostly used by engineers measuring paved roads, and by assessors measuring properties for tax purposes. Foresters I've seen have all used large diameter wheels as does the Maine Appalachian Trail Club.

Weary