[at-l] Maintainerous question...

Felix J athiker at smithville.net
Fri Feb 16 21:08:48 CST 2007

Hey...I was remind on my recent hike in PA of something I've wondered
about for a long time. Maybe some of you maintainer-types know the
answer to this.  In the event that there is a log laying across the
trial, why do maintainers sometime cut halfway down in two places and
then (I assume) plunge cut between the two cuts...therby making,
essentially, a big notch...which is where hikers step thru/across the
log? It'd have to be easier to just make two vertical cuts all the way
thru the log and then have one piece to roll out of the way. What is the
logik doing the 'halfway twice and cut between' method?

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98