[at-l] These...

Carla & Dave Hicks daveh at psknet.com
Wed Feb 28 16:28:29 CST 2007

FWIIW

I've maintained trail (not the AT in this case) in areas where gypsy moth had
killed the canopy for miles and opened the trail to "more sunlight."  Results
= greenbrier heaven.  Plus the poison ivy took off also.  BTW-- poison ivy is
a good food source for some wild life.

Sure I know there are natural balds.

But my experience with opening up trail to more sunlight has been opening up
trail to a maintaining nightmare, which results in the use of herbicides, or
very poor hiking conditions, because there are not enough volunteers to keep
up and the "government" partners take the short term cost effective approach.

Chainsaw