[at-l] Daylight Saving Time

pudscrawler at aol.com pudscrawler at aol.com
Wed Feb 28 18:51:55 CST 2007

When I was hiking the trail in 1999, DST arrived with an end of extra-cold weather.  I thought, for the first time in my life, mind you, that DST was a good thing.

Now, you have to remember that I, like so many women, had been the mother of pre-schoolers when it was reintroduced way back when.  (No, not during WWII.)  What it meant to me then was that I had three daughters who refused to go to sleep before dark but had been awakened before light because their dad had to go to his office by 8:00.  Very long days.  The kids loved them, but I felt like it was a conspiracy against my sanity.

After 1999 I softened my attitude towards DST, however.  But this!  This is something else.  I don't think that winter is going to end on March 11, 2007.  I think a whole lot of thru-hikers are going to wake up at their normal time and feel guilty because they aren't out there breaking cobwebs, BUT IT IS STILL DARK!, and it is still too cold to climb out of that cosy sleeping bag.  OTOH, they will have hiked much farther by 6:00 PM than they had the previous week . . . maybe.

At least, that seems to be the theory behind this insult to my biological rhythms, more productivity.

Kinnickinic