[at-l] OT Outdoor Furnaces was Geo-Exchange -OT

Bob C ellen at clinic.net
Mon Jan 1 12:53:21 CST 2007

The only environmentally wise way to burn wood is to burn it hot with the drafts wide open so that most of the smoke is consumed. The only way to do that and still have a comfortable house is to store the heat generated by the fire -- either in water or masonry -- and take the heat needed for the home out of the storage medium, rather than directly from the fire.

I heated my home with such a device for 18 years. I stopped because of age, and the need for expensive repairs.

Mine was a special unit, no longer being made. But most any good heating technician/plumber can make any wood boiler work pretty much the same way. JUst send all the heat from the wood boiler to a thousand gallon tank of water, and draw energy from the tank to heat the house, rather than directly from the boiler.

AS for passive solar, it should be virtually free for a home with south facing windows and an absence of trees or other obstructions to the sun. My house gets 40 percent of its energy from the sun because I designed it with the long side running east to west, and most of the windows facing south. One can increase the percentage of solar energy by a few percentage points by installing storage in the form of rock beds, concrete or tanks of water, but I don't find that to be worthwhile, given the cost, and the clogging of valuable living space with storage devices.

WEary