[at-l] Speed Record

Bob C ellen at clinic.net
Mon Jan 1 18:26:24 CST 2007

The Weathercarrot. Are you saying he did two northbounds in 1991, and then a southbound. That's not what I had understood from my brief conversations with Ward in Maine. I understood he started in January and walked north, then walked south, yo yoed north and was heading south again when I met him a second time in late August.

He definitely was heading north in late August and a few days later was heading south. He expressed doubts about his second south trip because of "financial and emotional" problems.

While I was walking north with my grandson, the registers were full of comments by other hikers warning people to stay away from Ward and complaining about his negative comments to them. Also on the trail that summer were Maineiac and another hiker (Dave Horton maybe) competing to set a new speed record.

WEary