[at-l] People, Nature and "Development" - A final thought or two and a toast to the New Year

Clark Wright icw at wardanddavis.com
Tue Jan 2 11:35:59 CST 2007

I received some off-list e-mail replises and have just read David’s and
RnR’s posts, and I wanted to leave all you good folk with a few additional
thoughts:

1)  I just finished watching and listening to the funeral services for
Gerald Ford, our 38th President; I was a fully engaged, troublesome teen
when Ford took office, and for some reason his passing has hit me harder
that I would have ever figured . . . as best I can figure such things out, I
think his passing has impacted many more than they would have expected
because of the juxtaposition of his infinite decency laid next to what we
see in D.C. today . . . somehow, I think there is a lesson there for us
hikers, too . . . passion is a wonderful thing, but it often obscures our
ability to relate to and empathize with each other . . . I respect and
admire, sometimes with shaking head, RnR’s passions, yet in the end, what
are we without BOTH the wonders of nature we all love AND the ability to
have relationships and love with one another?  That to me is the dilmemma .
. . I want to have passion for my conservation goals, but not at the expense
of my love of my fellow “equally natural” human beings . . . I struggle to
find room for both, with varying degrees of success, but that is indeed the
goal on this life’s path . . .

2)  RnR talks about scale – to me, scale covers a lot of territory,
including the work of many men and women to create, build and protect
incredible things like 2,175+ mile long national treasures like the AT,
which then touch the lives of millions, with millions more to come . . .
what is scale when compared to God’s infinite love?  What is scale compared
to David’s point about life competing with entropy?  What is the scale of
man’s achievements when one realizes that, just as with the Beaver dam,
Hoover dam too will fall and crumble to dust and mud within a single tick of
the geological, universal time clock?  Of what use and scale is the loss of
the polar bear, the eagle, or the grizzly if we are too busy killing each
other or damning each other (pardon the pun!) over our varying faiths,
political beliefs, or definitions of how best to define, much less achieve
conservation and environmental protection?  It has taken me a long time, and
I have a long way (hopefully!) yet to go, but walking the Trail was a
powerful message to me about the importance of both the wilderness I
experienced, AND the relationships with other human beings that I formed and
continue to cherish to this day . . . in the end, it seems to me that I
gotta have both, and if I get too unbalanced either way, then that’s when I
get in the most trouble.

My New Year’s toast:  May my passions be better devoted to love, grace and
forgiveness of myself and those close to me, and to God, and may my passion
for wildness and wilderness be tempered with recognition of the natural
place in Earth’s ecosystems of my fellow man, burdened with the great
responsibilities of stewardship, knowing we often have failed in that
stewardship, but remaining confident that if we work together and respect
each other, we can not only accomplish much more common good, but we also
can find the greatest gift of all, which is to enjoy and share this amazing
planet and universe TOGETHER! :-).

ThruThinker

I. Clark Wright, Jr.

Ward and Davis, LLP