[at-l] 8 More Years!!!

Felix J athiker at smithville.net
Thu Jan 4 15:16:33 CST 2007

Where was I? 8 years ago...Tuesday? Yes, let's say Tuesday. "Tuesday"...

Pittsburgh dropped me off in Dick's Creek Gap. It was raining or
sleeting most of the day. I had to get on my hands and knees and crawl
across the summit of Tray Mountain. I believe I was in Sassafras Gap
when I took this picture (http://Felixhikes.tripod.com/AT/frozface.jpg)

My eyelashes were covered in ice.  I trudged on in the muck. I got to
Unicoi and was glad to find my buddy Pittsburgh there. I wasn't certain
he would be there. We went to Helen for more showers and pizza.

The next day (January 3rd) was just cold and no rain. I cruised along
pretty good.  I stopped at Blue Mt. Shelter and talked to three kids
from Alabama. I said "Ain't 'Got You Where I Want You' a great song?"
One of the kids said "Hey, I saw them in concert New Year's Eve." I
thought that was cool. The more we talked, the more I found out about
them. I actually have met their grandmother. she lives in Bloomington.
Small world, of course.

I hiked on. When I got to Hogpen Gap parking lot, a man there asked me
if I was 'going camping'. I said "Yup. Couple more days anyway." The
Trail was covered in chunks of ice for several miles through this
stretch. I had this picture taken on Cowrock Mtn
(http://Felixhikes.tripod.com/AT/cowrock.jpg) It was about

5:05 when I got to Neel's Gap. The store was closed. I looked in and
somebody came over and opened the door. There were three people inside
counting money and prepping the store for closing. They let me warm up
and drink coffee. It was FREEZING out. My beard thawed. They gave me a
can of pop. I started up Blood Mt. right at dusk. There were people, and
fires, all over the rocky summit of Blood Mt. I was listening to the
Packers/Niners game on the radio and didn't even stop at the shelter.
Did I mention that it was cold?

I got to the shelter turn-off for Woodshole. I almost passed it because
there wasn't a sign for southbounders >:-|   I walked for what seemed
like miles down the blue-blaze. I stopped two times and nearly turned
around.  When I got to the shelter, I was amazed to find two other
bodies inside. One was awake. We talked a bit as I was setting up for
the night. Did I mention it was freezing? I asked if they were just out
for the weekend. The guy I was talking to said "Naaah. We're
thruhikers." "Northbounders?" I asked. "No."  "Who the hell are you?" I
asked, thinking that all the southbounders ahead of me were long gone.

"I'm QP. That's Windbraker."  "No F***ing way. I've been following you
guys for 5 months." We had a nice chat that night. I felt like they were
my long-lost brothers. (I knew that they weren't, however, because my
long-lost brothers are both in prison) It got down to 5º or less that
night. 5º is cold.  That, my friends, brings us to a 8 years ago today.

Eight years ago this morning brought me the most excruciating pain of
the 5 month journey. I had left my boots out over night. They were frozen.

They were frozen. It took 12 minutes to put them on. Then, there was the
trip to the privy (stainless-steel-seated privy). It was about 16
minutes of physical inactivity. My feet were frozen. It took over an
hour to get the circulation going enough to warm my feet again. They
hurt so bad that my stomach hurt. Somewhere in that first mile and a
half, I passed Tank. He was definitely struggling. He said that I was
right about a lot of the weight he was carrying. I told him to make it
to Neel's and have Jeff go through it. I hiked most of the day
leapfrogging with QP and WB. I liked them and liked having someone
around for a change. Especially someone who was excited about the same
thing that I was excited about. We spent the night, 8 years ago tonight,
together at a fridged Hawk Mt. Shelter. I couldn't find the spring.

Again, it was 5º or less. This time, my boots were in my bag.
(Footnote: QP's pee bottle from Woodshole S. froze and he had to carry
a bottle of frozen urine all day. We laffed. Well, not QP) Something I
shant forget about that night at Hawk Mt. is this:

The Tennessee Volunteers were playing for the national championship. QP
and WB are from the Knoxville area. They both had walkmans and were
listening to the game. QP's radio wouldn't pick it up.

So, WB broke his headphones and gave one earpiece to QP. They snuggled
up together and cheered as I slept, dreaming of the next day...

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98