[at-l] NC

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 15:20:58 CST 2007

Jacksonville isn't too bad.  The base is the largest employer so it is
certainly a Marine town.  You will not be far from Wilmington to the South.
If you really want to get away you can always drive up to Davis, NC and
either take a ferry to the South Core Banks or kayak if you are feeling
strong (it is along kayak ride, trust me).  Once on the Core Banks you can
camp and hike, the island is totally uninhabited except for some fishermen
(no permanent residents).

There are not a whole lot of hiking trails out that was I'm sorry to say.
You will be quite a ways away from the AT too.

Further north there are a few good trials, if you enjoy being swarmed by
blood-sucking mosquitoes (and watch out taking cool dips in the ponds, we
have gators in places you just wouldn't think).

There are great things about Coastal NC that I'm sure you will grow to
enjoy, but hiking isn't a huge draw in the area.

Greg