[at-l] Felix Writings 2003

Arthur Gaudet rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 7 09:26:19 CST 2007

Hi All! -

Did you know Felix' arm was itching in 2003? Ever wonder what his biggest regret
was on the entire hike? And just who is Alice Kauzlaauzlaauzlarich?

This is for those on at-l who wished for more writings from Felix. I've compiled
15 emails from 2003 that may serve to entertain you. I especially enjoyed the
"beATnik poetry", the letter to Earl, and the tale of his first night on the AT
in Maine. I've tried to avoid duplicating those that Felix has recently
reposted.

To his credit all of the links to photos are still in good working order. Enjoy.

Another fan, --RockDancer

Date: April 1, 2003
Subject: [at-l] Jordan

A few years ago, when Michael Jordan retired from basketball for the green grass
of a baseball diamond, many people thought he wanted to prove he was
multi-talented. We all knew that already. Michael was experiencing malaise and
was lethargic in his monotonous basketball world. How could he not be, standing
that much higher on the talent scale than those around him. The second time he
retired he was out of the limelight. Many thought he was going to settle in to
retirement and enjoy the wealth he'd accumulated. Not so. Michael went looking
for himself. He bounced around in various low-scale jobs. Then, one day, he
found himself in a job he actually enjoyed. He was, in fact, in charge of the
"Monkey House" at the San Diego zoo. He found that he could talk to the various
monkeys, orangutans, apes, gorillas et.al...all of the primates, without feeling
like he was being judged. He really liked the Reese's Monkeys because of their
peanut butter filling. Anyway...there was much discussion in 'the house' as to
whether Michael should return to the hardwood while his physical condition would
allow it. Once it was gone, it was gone for good, they reasoned. Michael, on the
other hand, didn't want to look bad to the public eye that had paid him so well
over the years. Well, one thing lead to another and, with strong egos involved,
a somewhat serious argument ensued. It was determined that the only way to solve
the problem once and for all was for there to be a great challenge.  There would
be a head to head match of wits in a 'winner takes all' game of Trivial Pursuit.
Michael jumped out to an early lead and it appeared that he would remain
retired...and watch his sun set from the beach. Not so. In a display of
fortitude unlike Michael had experienced since the '89 Pistons, the primate
scored an improbable come-from-behind win. This astounded Michael...to the point
of giving him the same fire the victor used to come from behind for the win.
Michael knew he belonged on the hardwood again. As he was driving away, Michael
noticed the zoo's Marquee. It read:

Ape Rules, Fuels Jock

(I will not apologize for this other than to say "I'm sorry".)

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98

Date: 5/20/2003
Subject: Earl ...

Dear Earl,

Felix here. I've been thinking about you a lot lately, and thought I'd write and
tell you so. It's been over a year since you've passed, now.
Tomorrow will be two, and then ten. Such is life and death, I suppose.

You probably wouldn't remember me. We talked a few times. Mostly trivial things,
which I like best. I made you laugh once. I'll never forget that. I smile now
when thinking about it.

I always felt kind of sorry for you. People made you an icon, when it was so
obvious that was the last thing you wanted to be. You graciously did what folks
asked of you, even though it seemed to go against what you really, in your
heart, wanted to do. I don't even think people know why they looked up to you.
The celebrity? Maybe. Though, it was celebrity they put on you whether you
wanted it or not. I'm not sure they ever saw, or knew, the real Earl.

I always liked you because you were just some old guy. Some old guy who hiked.
You were how I hope I am, if I'm lucky enough to live that long.
You reminded me a lot of my grandfather. I miss you for that. I miss him, too.
He lives next door to me. Well, his body does. His mind has gone away, mostly.
You were lucky yours didn't leave you.

You were also lucky you and David Donaldson found each other. You were both
exactly what the other needed at that time. Life is nice when it lets things
like that happen.

Well, I suppose I've gone on long enough. I have a shoebox in the basement I
keep letters like this. There is one there to an uncle of mine who died before I
got to know him well enough. There's one to a cousin who died far before it was
fair. There's even one to me. It tells me who I think I am now, so I can read
about it after my mind has left me. Maybe I'll remember it then, if I want to.
Hopefully someday I'll be able to deliver them to you guys myself. Wouldn't that
be a hoot?

Take care, Earl

Felix

Date: 6/13/2003
Subject: Kin abe heck

All this talk o' the Kennebec crossing reminds me of this (From Jan.
26th, 1998):

Jesus, Moses and Wingfoot are hiking the AT. They get to the Kennebec River.
Jesus doesn't even slow down, walks right on the water to the other side. Moses
looks here and there. Finally, he takes his Leki Makula staff and splits the
mighty river and walks across on a dry riverbed. Wingfoot lights a cigarette and
shakes his head. "Trail doesn't cross there, guys."

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98

Date: 6/24/2003
Subject: Introducing...

Well, a few weeks ago my oldest cat girlfriend went off on one of those trips
where there are birds and mice and bowls of milk around every corner. Lizzie,
the last of the famous 'Three Black Cats', which I have drawn on the bottom of
every register entry I've made in 8 years, and the subject of one of my favorite
ATN stories, found that place to be quite nice, I'm sure. And, as life will have
it...today, as I got out of my pick-up truck to start a little mowing job, I
hear a cry from a ditch. A few minutes later, I have a new cat to sleep in the
spot Lizzie used to sleep. Ladies and gentleman, and Sly, may I introduce you
to:

Wendell J. McGillikitty
http://Felixhikes.tripod.com/Felix/wendell2.jpg

http://Felixhikes.tripod.com/Felix/wendell3.jpg

http://Felixhikes.tripod.com/Felix/catjail2.jpg
--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98

Date: 8/2/2003
Subject: "A handful of years ago..."

Has it really been 5 years ago already? Is he really gonna start this crap
again? Why does his arm itch? All questions I'm sure you're asking yourself
right now. Well, it be true. It was five years ago today my good buddy
Pittsburgh rolled into mi casa (not literally, mind ya) to pick me and the girl
up for to start our thru-hikes. And, start them we did...not 'til five years ago
Tuesday, mind ya. But, start them we did.
So, anyway...perhaps I'll tell you about things that were happening ruffly five
years ago...perhaps.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98

Date: 8/3/2003
Subject: beATnik again

trail winds left
then to the right
switchback climbs
'til it's out of sight

blue-blazed shelter trail
seems too long
water's even farther
this is just wrong

rain on my forehead
mud on my knee
pouring so hard now
I can't even see

I'm so hungry
I can barely stand
Why don't I have a Snicker
held in my hand

I'll never learn
I guess this is true
cuz this is what I love
and it's what I want to do.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98

Date: 8/3/2003
Subject: 5 years ago ...

Why the hell not, right?

Five years ago today had me waking up in a Revolutionary War-era estate just
outside of Kent, CT. My friend, Tom Ruane, was driving Pokey and me to Katahdin
and then going to hike 4 or 5 days with us. We made our way to Millinocket,
which is a little town in Maine. (You all knew that,
right?) We ate at a little diner there I believe was called something with
'Appalachian Trail' in the name. We camped at a little campground out of town a
little ways. There was a little excitement there that night...Katahdin watching
us set up our tent. The next morning I went to lookin' for my maps and
sunglasses. I found out that I'd left them on top of the car the night before
and they'd blown off as we drove back to town for dinner. I found
everything...but, my sunglasses had been runned over...and runned under. But,
that would be 5 years ago tomorrow, now wouldn't it?

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98

Date: 8/4/2003
Subject: Let the Games begin ...

Well, five years ago about right now, Pokey and I were settling down for our
first night on the trail. The climb up Katahdin proved to be an eventful
one...as that was when Pokey chose to tell me she was agorofobic...I don't know
if the 'agoro' part of that is spelled rightly or not. Anyway...Pokey had failed
to mention to me that she was skeert of high, open places...you know...like
mountains...like Katahdin.
So...somewhere shortly after we got above treeline...about where those rebars
are...Pokey pretty much collapsed on the trail. She was, essentially, a mess.
Fortunately for me, my good buddy Trail-nameless-Tom was there to help comfort
her...and, take her back down the mountain...to Daisy Pond Lean-to. I went on up
that hill...with all the rox on it...and, that sign up there on top...After I
did my little summit thing...with the sign kissin' and all that...I made my own
way to Daisy Pond. The first pond I got to...the pond just south of that gravel
road, had a cow moose standing in it. A beautiful day had turned into a
beautiful evening and was the first of many, many incredible experiences. I
didn't eat ice cream  :(

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98

Date: 8/4/2003
Subject: re: Let the games begin ...

[Felix]
"A beautiful day had turned into a beautiful evening and was the first of many,
many incredible experiences."

[Shane]
Robbed.  We've been robbed. Schnookered even. I beseech you, dear sir, not to
leave us to wonder.  Tell us, if you will, what that first night was like.  What
was going through your multi-faceted head?  What were you feeling?  Did you cry?

Enquiring minds...

[Felix]
You've been robbed of nothing, I tell you. You had it not to begin with. I did
not cry. I did not even consider crying. I'm pretty sure this is the first time
I've been asked if I cried. I was more concerned with Pokey's well-being,
actually. Here I am starting a thru-hike with a girl who had one night's worth
of previous experience...9 hiking miles on tuff Indiana terrain. And, earlier in
the day I find out that she can't even cross a log bridge. I do remember feeling
relieved to be on the trail, however. The planning process for me had been
consumed by taking care of my home and business while I was away. I probably
spent 200 times longer preparing the non-hiking aspect of the hike than I did
the hike itself. So, the realization that I was actually there...sleeping in the
dirt...hearing loons...gettin' bitin' by squits...I was finally allowed to rest
and plan my thru-hike...or, at least wait 'til Cake joined us so he could plan
it. The next morning...five years ago tomorrow, I found a bandless watch on the
ground under the picnic table. I carried that watch the rest of the way to
Springer. Then, in 2001 I went to Stratton to hike with my buddy Stoat. He'd
lost his watch. So, I gave him mine. He carried it from Stratton to Springer.
So...The way I have it figured...If a northbounder carried that watch from
Springer to Daisy Pond...and I carried it from Daisy Pond to Springer...and,
then Stoat carried it from Stratton to springer...well, that damned watch has a
lot of miles on it...and, maybe has never been to Katahdin...it got close,
though. I remember crying when I found that watch. (it was all true up 'til that
crying when I found the watch part.)

Date: 12/7/2003
Subject: tryin' again ...

I sended this the other day and it came back...'undelivered'

Hey...it's been a while since we did this...hasn't it? Not long enuff?
sorry...I may do more...some even 'retro-five-years-ago-today' stuff, maybe.

Maybe I won't. Anyway, five years ago today I left Knot Maul Shelter...this was
the morning after 5 years ago last night...the night five years ago that I saw
the BIG 'Z' in the sky that haunts me to this day. (for over five years now I've
been haunted by that BIG 'Z' in the sky.) Anyway, it was a drizzly, cold day.
One of those kinds of days that the sun never shines and you don't ever really
get a feel for what time it is. I had a quick, chilly snack-break at Davis Path
Shelter and headed on for my destination for the night...The Atkins Motel and
Restaurant. Once there and checked in...I got my laundry together and was headed
toward the washing machine room...walk...walk...walk...hey, that door is
open...hey, that's hiker gear...hey, that's a hiker sittin' on the
floor...hey...that's a hiker chickola sittin' on the floor...too much gear,
there has to be a hiker manola with that hiker chickola...There wasn't. Ladies
and gentlemen, may I introduce 'Pilot'. Pilot and I struck up a conversation
that lasted all evening...and, the next day...and, the next day...and, the next
day...and, part of the day after that. And, now...five year's later...I'm
sitting in a rocking chair in Pilot's living room writing about it. I think we
are celebrating the 5 year anniversary of meeting by beating each other with
2x4's so we feel like we did back on Dec 5th, 1998.  that's all for now. (Was
that
enuff?)  (I have a couple of trip reports I might write sometime...if I can
remember any of the stuff that happened.)

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98

Date: 12/15/2003
Subject: 5 years ago ... TODAY

Well, it's been a while since I've done this. We've mist some pretty good stuff
in there, too. I'm not sure if this is gonna be on topic enuff for ya...but,
here it is. I could go back and find others...if you want I should. Anyway......

Five years ago today (Dec 15th, 1998) had me hiking the 24 miles from Iron Mtn.
S. to Kincorra. The day started out foggy and rainy. That seemed to be a trend.
A lunch break at Vandeventer S. proved to be the last time I would see Lucky
Luke and Calamity Jane. Funny how things seem insignificant at the time.Walking
away from that shelter with them sitting there seemed like every other time I
walked away from a shelter with them sitting there. They always showed up later.
Not this time.

As I crossed the dam, I wanted to throw the tape I was listening to as far out,
into the water, as I could. Wallflowers did not satisfy my musical tastes.
Little did I know then that a couple of years later I would be standing ON STAGE
with the Wallflowers. Again...those insignificant things. (I didnt' tell them
that I had wanted to throw their tape into Watauga Lake, by the way.)

I wrote something in the register at Watauga Shelter (I don't remember what.)
That night, The Kid said something about it. I had affected him.

As I crossed Hwy 321 (?) I couldn't find the Trail. Re-lo, I think. As I climbed
up Pond Mtn., I 'kicked up' some turkeys. Because of the switchbacks, I kept
'kicking' them up. Probably 6 times. They were probably getting pist. Me and The
Kid stopped at Laurel Forks S. and he looked at the Playboy there. I ate. It was
dark when we got to the road. (Dennis Cove). We walked up to Kincorra, not sure
where it was. Later that evening, Bob took us to Elizabethtown for groceries and
'za. Back at the hostel, I ate until I was sick. (A fine pie is to be had at Mad
Greeks) As I stood at the sink, complaining about how I had eaten to the point
of being sick, I made pistachio pudding with half and half. In five minutes, I
was laying on the couch, eating pistachio pudding, complaining about how I had
eaten to the point of being sick. I called Amy Friends and asked her to marry
me. (This having nothing to do with eating too much.)

It was clearing outside and the temperature was plummeting. Bob told us it was
12º. Nice, cool hiking to be had the next day...

Seems that there were at least three leasons learned that day...

Don't take good things for granted, for they may soon come to pass. When you
least expect it, you can have some impact on someone. Try to make it a good one.
Don't eat too much, unless it's 'za and pudding.

If you're interested, I'll try to do a better job letting you know where I was 5
years ago, today...

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98

Date: 12/17/2003
Subject: 5 years, come and gone ...

Since ain't no one body else postin' any much stuff, I reckon 'spose I
will...(go figger)

five years ago...yesterday.

Moose Boy and I hiked over Hump Mt. (I love those long views and being able to
see a long distance of trail.) It was way windy on top. (Is Stan Murray S. the
one that used to be called something with the word Roan in it?) There was snow
on the ground as we hiked up to Roan High Knob shelter. It was cold inside the
'green tunnel' of Rhodis. Memory says that there had been a lot of
washing/eroding of the trail going up Roan.

As I hiked from Hughes Gap I was listening to NPR. This is the night that we
started bombing whoever it was we started bombing just before Clinton was
'impeached'. Was it Iraq again? (irony?) I remember being at Little Rock Knob
and seeing all the lights below, and listening to a woman correspondent talking
about bombs going off. We (The Kid and
I) stayed at Clyde Smith. 'twas a chilly one. That would turn out to be our last
night together.

Next morning (five years ago today) we hiked over snow-covered Unaka and Beauty
Spot. I took his picture in a whiteout. Very cold and windy. Later that evening,
somewhere between Curly Maple and the Nolichucky, I saw my only racoon of the
hike. 2160 miles and I saw one racoon. I barely saw him. He nearly attacked me,
without knowing I was there. It was really scary for about 10 seconds...the 10
seconds I thought he was a bear. I got to town (Erwin) what I think was a couple
of hours after dark. Went in to Johnnies to see Groovin' Moose and someone
else's pack. It was Outta Chocolate. He was doing some slacking/flip-flopping
thing. A phone call to Red (and twenty minutes of her bitching about me not
calling sooner...I WAS HIKING, RED!!!), later and we were eating Calzones
somewhere. Had dinner with Red, The Kid and Outta Chocolate.
I was able to spend some valuable time with Shannon, too. I was able to give her
some guidance and direction. That is always nice. (What was the advice, Red?
"Books, not
bookings"?)

Spent that night on Red's livingroom floor... 5 years ago tonight...(hmmmm,
so...that makes Shannon about...what...18 now? )

--
Felix Navidad
ME-->GA '98

Date: 12/21/2003
Subject: 5 more years ...

"For there lies the answer, in a pile of discarded cardboard boxes."

Five years ago today I hiked in to Hot Springs. On the way, I passed some
hunter-type men. They were teaching an unhunter-type kid to be a hunter-type
kid. They were chasing, yes 'chasing' a squirrel through the woods. Well, dad
and junior were. Granddad was yelling at them. The first thing I heard as I was
coming down the hill (the hill that you go down to get to the bridge over that
highway north of HS) was a bunch of shooting, then a bunch of yelling. I waited
a little while, up the hill.
The shooting stopped, and I started again. The fellers were all standing on the
Trail when I got there, 'cept for the kid-type one. I talked to them for a
while. They were okay, just not real good hunter-types. At least the kid-type
one.

Anyway, I got to town at about 11. I called my good friend Alice
Kauzlaauzlaauzlarich. I ate fajitas while I waited for her. We went and visited
Wingfoot for a while. In fact, I think she met me at Wingfoot's house.
She took me to a grocery store in a town that wasn't Hot Springs. That is where
I did one of the things I regretted most on the entire hike. (I did not regret
the thing that happened in Buena Vista. I regretted the results. Big
difference.) I was in a grocery store, and a hardware store, and a dime store. I
did not regret this part. The part that I regretted was the part that made me
say "$15 for a disposable camera? No way I'm paying $15 for a disposable
camera." When I was in the Smokys, I would have paid $115 bucks for half the
camera. I would have given my left liver for one on Thunderhead. I would give my
GED certificate for one picture of that sunset. (Were I to have my GED
certificate, I mean.)

Again, anyway...I spent a very enjoyable evening with the
Kauzlaauzlaauzlariches. (From now on: Kuazes) This is where I found out that my
dad has prostate cancer. Don't ask him about it. He won't talk about it. I also
learned two things about chickens here. Who would have thought that there were
two things I didn't know about chickens?

--
Felix Navidad
ME-->GA '98

Date: 12/29/2003
Subject: "And, another one bites the dust ..."

The day after the day I call the best day of my life (5 years ago day before
yesterday)I hiked to the Fontana Dam. I hitched a ride to the motel with a guy
who was stoned. The ride would have been scary enough without the added element
of drugs in the veins. I made it. It was Sunday and I wanted to watch NFL
football and take a shower. The black and white Philco (I'm serious) wouldn't
pick up anything (I'm also serious), so I took showers. Lots of showers. Showers
became my hobby.

When the guy that runs the motel dropped me off at the Trail the next day, five
years ago yesterday, it started sprinkling. It soon began pouring, and did the
rest of the day. 'twas a miserable day. Ask the group of young boys that were
there with their fathers. I passed them, about 12 in all, in little groups. They
weren't having much fun. I hiked on to Stecoah Gap. I was very pleased as I
began to cross the highway, rain still falling, to see a large, hairy man emerge
from a small, steamy car. 'twas my good buddy Pittsburgh there to see me, and
take me to more showers. (Seperate showers, mind ya.) After hiking all day with
cold water pounding me, I couldn't wait to spend a few minutes with hot water
pounding me.

Pittsburgh and I watched the Steelers get beat on Monday night football. We had
a very nice room in Robbinsville, NC (is that right, pittsia?) and it had a nice
shower. The next morning (five years ago today) he dropped me off at Stecoah
Gap. The day was drizzly, overcast, chilly and uneventful. It was Tuesday. I
called my mom from NOC. It's always good to talk to your mom. I took a break at
Morgan Shelter and it was dark when I left there for Wesser Bald Shelter.
Somewhere in between, it started to snow. Temps were dropping and it was
unpleasant. After I got to the shelter, I walked around in the wind-blown snow,
looking for a non-existent privy.
No, I would not have looked had I known it didn't exist. It got very cold that
night. Cold and windy. My sleeping bag had snow on it the next morning. That
will be five years ago tomorrow, however. And, it appears I'll be going to
'thru-hike' the Knobstone Trail starting tomorrow...so, you may not hear from me
for a few days...

--
Felix Navidad
ME-->GA '98

Date: 1/4/2004
Subject: One more time...before the last time...

Hmmm...five years ago from the last post I did like this was five years ago from
Monday...so, five years ago last Tuesday I made good time to Cold Spring
Shelter. Again, it was too cold to stop anywhere. It was 15 degrees at the
shelter, according to one of the college students that were taking up far more
than their share of the room. I ate a quick snack on the table next to the
shelter, and was on my way. It didn't snow or rain any on this day, but it never
did get above 20º.  I ate lunch inside the restroom at Wayah Bald. (Hey, I was
'resting' in the 'rest'room. Alright?) There were lots of dayhikers out on this
day. As I neared Winding Stair Gap, I made a deal with myself that if somebody
was at the parking lot and they offered me a ride, I'd take it. I was thinking
it was time for another series of showers.
Before I even got to the road, a woman offered me a night at her house.
(Well, her husbandido was standing there, too). "Do you have a shower?"...

This is where I met the guy I named 'Tank'. That deaf, dumb and blind kid named
Tommy could have Tuckerized Tank's pack. All I shall say is he had 13 MREs with
him. He was the nephew of the people who had given me the ride and place to
stay. The next day, New Year's Eve, they dropped me off at Winding Stair Gap,
and dropped Tank off on Springer. It was well past dark when I got to Carter Gap
Shelter. There was a Marine on leave there. He had a great fire going. I stopped
for a snack and warmed myself by the fire. He was amazed when I put my snack bag
away and strapped my pack on. "Where you going?" I told him I had to get to the
next shelter. "That's 7 miles." "Yeah, I know.
Happy New Year to ya." I said as I walked away.

I had a blast hiking up Standing Indian Mountain. It was a beautiful night and I
was listening to a great college football game. (The folks who put me up the
night before were at this game in Atlanta. I STILL can't remember who played.)
It was about 10 when I got in bed for the last time. I woke up at 11:30 to a
group of flashlights shining in the shelter at me. When they saw me, they turned
and left. I never saw them again. I'm guessing it was a group going up to the
summit for the New Year's countdown. This was the first New Year's that I was
asleep at Midnight since the early 70's. I didn't mind. Btw, it was cold and
there was snow on the ground.

New Year's Day was damp and chilly. Not raining. Not cold. Just damp and chilly.
I met two guys at Plumorchard Gap. We were talking about football for some
reason.  I said "Hey, did Boomer (Esiaison) say 'No shit' on the Monday night
game?" One of the guys said "See, I told you"
to the other. Pittsburgh and I had watched the Monday night game together and I
was sure that he had said it. I got to Dick's Creek Gap in mid-afternoon. I was
trying to hitch to Hiawassee when a guy in a truck pulled over. I was just about
to the truck when he drove away. The back of his head is hopefully still burning
from the stare I gave him as he pulled away. I got a ride and checked in at the
jacuzzi-roomed Holiday Inn Express. A hot soak and steak dinner later, my buddy
Pittsburgh was there for more football watching.

The next day was horrible. It was raining or sleeting most of the day. I had to
get on my hands and knees and crawl across the summit of some rocky mountain
(Kelly Knob, maybe). I believe I was in Sassafras Gap when I took this picture
(http://Felixhikes.tripod.com/AT/frozface.jpg)
My eyelashes were covered in ice.  I trudged on in the muck. I got to Unicoi and
was glad to find my buddy Pittsburgh there. I wasn't certain he would be there.
We went to Helen for more showers and pizza.

The next day was just cold and no rain. I cruised along pretty good.  I stopped
at Blue Mt. Shelter and talked to three kids from Alabama. I said "Ain't 'Got
You Where I Want You' a great song?" One of the kids said "Hey, I saw them in
concert New Year's Eve." I thought that was cool. The more we talked, the more I
found out about them. I actually have met their grandmother. she lives in
Bloomington. Small world, of course.

I hiked on. When I got to Hogpen Gap parking lot, a man there asked me if I was
'going camping'. I said "Yup. Couple more days anyway." The Trail was covered in
chunks of ice for several miles through this stretch. I had this picture taken
on Cowrock Mtn (http://Felixhikes.tripod.com/AT/cowrock.jpg) It was about
5:05 when I got to Neel's Gap. The store was closed. I looked in and somebody
came over and opened the door. There were three people inside counting money and
prepping the store for closing. They let me warm up and drink coffee. It was
FREEZING out. My beard thawed. They gave me a can of pop. I started up Blood Mt.
right at dusk. There were people, and fires, all over the rocky summit of Blood
Mt. I was listening to the Packers/Niners game and the radio and didn't even
stop at the shelter. Did I mention that it was cold?

I got to the shelter turn-off for Woodshole. I almost passed it because
there wasn't a sign for southbounders >:-|   I walked for what seemed
like miles down the blue-blaze. I stopped two times and nearly turned around.
When I got to the shelter, I was amazed to find two other bodies inside. One was
awake. We talked a bit as I was setting up for the night. Did I mention it was
freezing? I asked if they were just out for the weekend. The guy I was talking
to said "Naaah. We're thruhikers." "Northbounders?" I asked. "No."  "Who the
hell are you?" I asked, thinking that all the southbounders ahead of me were
long gone.
"I'm QP. That's Windbraker."  "No F***ing way. I've been following you guys for
5 months." We had a nice chat that night. I felt like they were my long-lost
brothers. (I knew that they weren't, however, because my long-lost brothers are
both in prison) It got down to 5º or less that night. 5º is cold.  That, my
friends, brings us to a 5 years ago today.

Five years ago this morning brought me the most excruciating pain of the 5 month
journey. I had left my boots out over night. They were frozen.
They were frozen. It took 12 minutes to put them on. Then, there was the trip to
the privy (stainless-steel-seated privy). It was about 16 minutes of physical
inactivity. My feet were frozen. It took over an hour to get the circulation
going enough to warm my feet again. They hurt so bad that my stomach hurt.
Somewhere in that first mile and a half, I passed Tank. He was definitely
struggling. He said that I was right about a lot of the weight he was carrying.
I told him to make it to Neel's and have Jeff go through it. I hiked most of the
day leapfrogging with QP and WB. I liked them and liked having someone around
for a change. Especially someone who was excited about the same thing that I was
excited about. We spent the night, 5 years ago tonight, together at a fridged
Hawk Mt. Shelter. I couldn't find the spring.
Again, it was 5º or less. This time, my boots were in my bag.
(Footnote: QP's pee bottle from Woodshole S. froze and he had to carry  a bottle
of frozen urine all day. Welaffed. Well, not QP) Something I shant forget about
that night at Hawk Mt. is this:
The Tennessee Volunteers were playing for the national championship. QP and WB
are from the Knoxville area. They both had walkmans and were listening to the
game. QP's radio wouldn't pick it up.
So, WB broke his headphones and gave one earpiece to QP. They snuggled up
together and cheered as I slept, dreaming of the next day...

Was this long enuff? I could add more...

--
Felix Navidad
ME-->GA '98