[at-l] Room for improvement

Ken Bennett bennettk at wfu.edu
Sun Jan 7 18:58:17 CST 2007

> I would mention a
> particularly grueling climb (Tesnate Gap),

Tesnate Gap was the *worst*. Argh. Straight up the side of the (bad word)
mountain. There was a guy on a huge motorcycle idling in the little parking
area at the bottom, and he had Elvis singing 'The Battle Hymn of the
Republic' on his radio as we climbed. Surreal.

I remember meeting another hiker who said that Sassafras Mtn was the worst
climb ever, and so we dreaded Sassafras for a day or two. Then we climbed
it, and it wasn't hard at all.

So I totally agree that there are lots of factors that influence how hard a
particular climb will feel on any given day.

--Ken B