[at-l] OT-Colorado avalanche

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 7 22:43:32 CST 2007

 Yep..I'm out here. Thanks for the concern!

The avalanche in question is about 1 hr or so from my house. US40 (Not I70) is the major road from and to Winter Park.  The road is usally well maintained, but still very twisty.

The avalanche happended not too far where the CDT crosses as well.

Boulder is where the high plains meet the very start of the Rockies. The foothills ("only" 7000-8500' high!) are my backyard. I can get to a hiking trail with a less than 10 minute walk from dowtown Boulder where I can climb to a mountain with views of the Continental Divide.  Considering that Boulder itself is at just under 5500', neat to think I can climb a foothill and gain almost 3000'!  A bit further away (45 minute drive) are the trails that take you into the "Rockies Proper".

Been a crazy year in the Front Range. Normally, any snow tha happens is gone within a day or two. After three snow storms, there is consistent snow where I can go skiing in town!

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=51

Went skiing again yesterday on a local trail and did some more skiing today in higher areas. The winds were indeed ferocious with at least 50 MPH gusts. Phew!

Anyway, I am safe...rarely go the ski resorts.

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com