[at-l] Cho-Pat and knee issues

Teresa French AT03Wench at comcast.net
Wed Jan 24 16:47:26 CST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Leitschuh" <janl2 at mindspring.com>
> I used the Cho-Pat. Both. The simple band under the knee that you can get
> at WalMart gave me a little relief, maybe 30-40 percent. The Dual-Action
> strap was the best - a black ugly thing, but I honestly don't think I
> could have done my thruhikes without it.
> Apparently the use pressure to change the angle of insertion of some
> important knee-tissue thingie, and help tired quads to keep the kneecap
> tracking. But I might have just made that up - who can say after all these
> years?

That's exactly what the website says it does, though, not in exactly those
terms....

> When I put on the Dual-Action Cho-Pat, it feels like a hand cupping my
> patella. I used them on the LT, and at the start of my AT hike, shipped
> them up to Hanover with my winter gear as my legs became strong enough to
> backpack on milder elevations of VA and the mid-Atlantic. I put them back
> on just before the Whites and still had knee pain, but based on my past
> experience I have no doubt they let me complete my hike.

I didn't have issues on my hike until the Whites.  Coincidence???  Actually,
I think it was (is?) a repetitive motion/overuse type of thing, and the
cumulative miles and steps took effect.

> Don't know about beezball. Are you the catcher?

I try.  :-)  No, actually an outfielder (Go figure... out in left field, as
the saying goes.).  Last night I did significant running; more than usual,
I'd say.  And after 2 month layoff.... well, I guess I got what I deserved.
I think quality of shoes is an issue.  Softball shoes are not the most
comfortable.  Maybe if I pay more than $20/pr....  (That means I need TWO
new pair of shoes... hiking and softball!)

> so Cho-Pat may or may not help your aging condition, oops, I mean
> condition.

Now now... the comments are getting to me.  Shoe, you and Dog shouldn't
throw age stones at me.....

Thanks for the info Cho-Shoe!
:-)
YOUNG Wench