[at-l] Trail work opp on the IAT; 2nd half August

Arthur Gaudet rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 5 14:04:15 CDT 2007

Hi at-lers,
My other hiking club connections sent this email & I thought I should bring it
to the attention of this group. If anyone's interested I'll be happy to put you
in touch with the sender. This originates from the Boston area so I'd guess the
flight is quoted from Logan airport. Let me know if there's any interest, Gros
Morne will be beautiful in August I'm sure.
--Arthur aka RockDancer

*****
I am pulling together a small bevy of intrepids for a 2 week stint of trail
building/hiking on the northern tip of Newfoundland in the second half of
August. For any geographically challenged folks, that's in Canada! - across some
polar strait from Labrador. The trail work is on the International Appalachian
Trail (IAT), a ten year old effort that spans Baxter State Park to the northern
tip of Newfoundland. The work may include scouting of potential trail routes and
initial layout/flagging - sometimes more interesting than moving boulders
around.

Although the Provincial Govt. has committed significant funds for the effort,
the work in this section is only starting now. The exact location is Gros Morne
Park, a remote location of forested mountains, open peaks and frequent views of
the ocean. I am currently working out the logistics with one of the trail
managers in Newfy, Paul Wylezol, who will be supplying all the tools and trail
specifics.

I plan to fly to St. John's and then rent a car - flights are around $650. Other
expenses should be minimal other than food/shared car rental.

Yeah, it's a little late in the season to get this going. Nevertheless, any
interest out there?
Jas