[at-l] In My Hands ...

Jan Leitschuh janl2 at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 10 10:52:18 CDT 2007

Thanks all.
I just had to share with y'all.

Yes, I will have copies in Vermont Bob. I look forward to signing yours.

The pressure was on to get the press run by the time I left for the Long Trail Festival.
But things look good to go (fingers crossed).

For anyone in the area, the Long Trail Festival is turning into a mini-Ruck.
Lots of familiar faces have claimed they were going to turn up. Old Ridge Runner has said he'll be there. Free camping in town park. The LT End-to-Enders and the AT thru-hikers, NOBO and SOBO - all seem to meet up in Vermont in mid-August.

Mrs. Gorp and Stumpknocker, now in Minnesota, are also scheduled to be through VT about then, on the last leg of their flip-flop cross-country bike trip. My AT hiking buddy Itchyfoot might even turn up as he hikes through on the LT.

And even Thee Clyde - MAF Man hisself - is still claiming he's going to ride up there and show Vermont his CD. If he's cheered up.
I hope he's cheered up.
It will be five years since we hiked the bloody thing.
I want to go up Mansfield again - this time, in a car!
;-)

PS My arm itches too.

>From the website:
http://www.longtrailfestivalvt.com/

"The first Annual Long Trail Festival will be taking place at the Rutland Fairgrounds. Our theme is "Walking Gently On The Earth" and we'll be welcoming hikers and their families to a central little city called Rutland in late 2007. Admission is free, and there will even be free camping* available!

"Rutland is nestled in an area of Vermont called the Marble Valley. Two state highways intersect in its midst and so it is an easy place to find. However, despite its citylike nature, it has a lot to offer us hiker folk! Pine Hill Park offers many small trails for those who want a day-long excursion into the woods either on foot or bike. For the more serious, you can tackle any number of mountains and trails in our area. There's the nearby Clarendon Lookout, Airport Lookout, Bald Mountain, the infamous Pico Mountain, and of course the popular Deer's Leap. And the Rutland Fairgrounds are right on Route 7 so you have easy access to all these spots in the event you get the "itch" to get out of the city for a few hours.

We hope you'll join us for four days of fun!

* Camping on site limited to those over 18 years old or must accompanied by an adult family member. At registration, Liability waivers will need to be signed by all campers staying at the festival site."