[at-l] Subject: Appalachain Trail Thru-hiker Study - Thanks!

Jan Leitschuh janl2 at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 13 20:53:57 CDT 2007

I forward:

Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:46:45 -0400
From: "John Pugh" <johnny.swank at gmail.com>
To: j
Subject: Appalachain Trail Thru-hiker Study - Thanks!

All,

Just wanted to give a quick update about where the AT Thru-hiker Study stands. As of now, there have been 326 completed surveys, making this by far the largest study ever on AT thru-hikers! I'll be collecting data until mid-August, so if you know of anyone that's attempted a thru-hike (completed or not), feel free to send them to the following link.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=KvzRwDZ93H3RTT0y1rzzhw_3d_3d

I'll be presenting the early results at ALDHA Gathering in October, but here are a couple of teasers for now. I'll send a complete summary of the results once everything is in and I have a chance to work with the numbers for a few weeks.

Thank you again,

-John Pugh "Johnny Swank",  ME-GA 2000

Gender

	Response
Percent 	Response
Count
 Female 		 25.6%  	 80
 Male 		 74.4%  	 233

Where did you begin your thru-hike?

	Response
Percent 	Response
Count
 Springer Mountain 		 82.9%  	 256
 Katahdin 		 10.4%  	 32
	Other (please specify)
		 6.8%  	 21

What kind of a pack did you carry?

	Response
Percent 	Response
Count
 Internal frame 		 73.4%  	 182
 External frame 		 13.3%  	 33
 Frameless 		 7.7%  	 19
	Other (please specify)
		 5.7%  	 14

What kind of footwear did you hike in?

	Response
Percent 	Response
Count
 Running shoes 		 25.7%  	 63
 Sandals 		 5.7%  	 14
 Light hiking shoes 		 30.2%  	 74
 Light/Medium weight boots 		 28.2%  	 69
 Heavy boots, all leather 		 24.9%  	 61
	Other (please specify)
		 8.2%  	 20

Do you believe bad water ever caused you illness?

	Response
Percent 	Response
Count
 Yes 		 5.9%  	 14