[at-l] can ya see the real me, can ya...CAN YA?

Bruce W. Calkins blackwolfe at charter.net
Tue Jul 17 05:46:36 CDT 2007

8X is the magnification.  Like as in you divided the distance in 8ths and
walked 7/8ths of the way closer to see.  Since most birds won't trust you
that close, we do it with magnification.

42 is the diameter in millimeters of the lenses on the end that is looking
at the "bird".  It is assumed that the lenses you are looking into are
appropriately sized in proportion to the lenses you are looking out from.

For night viewing 7X50mm provide a viewing circle about the size of a normal
persons eye pupil.  That is calculated by dividing 50 by 7 or about 7mm.
8X42mm comes out to a little over 5mm and may not reveal things in shadow
and will not "see" as well at dusk.

FWIW;  I have some treasured wildlife memories from looking through a pair
of 8X42mm compact binoculars.

Note; to best see what you wish to see, look at the subject, and bring the
binoculars to your eyes without looking away.

Bruce W.

Black Wolfe