[at-l] "No Place I'd Rather Be..."

Mara Factor m_factor at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 18 14:26:27 CDT 2007

I normally just post my book reviews on my web site but this book seemed
like a fun book to share with the A.T. crowd:

I just finished perusing "No Place I'd Rather Be, Wit and Wisdom from
Adirondack Lean-to Journals" by Stuart F. Mesinger c. 2006.

While not compiled from A.T. registers and as Mesinger says, they "don't
display the quirky mind-set of the long-distance hiker," the register
entries in the book cover many of the same topics found in A.T. registers.
For those of us who haven't placed a register in an A.T. lean-to and had it
returned to us full if wit and wisdom, this book gives us some gems from the
Adirondacks organized along the lines of many topics familiar to any
backcountry lean-to user:  Weather; Privies; Tall tales; Bugs; etc.

While many of the entries will seem familiar, there are situations
documented in this book that generally are not found on the AT such as those
that paddle into the backcountry, are hunting, or those that claim
backcountry campsites and/or lean-tos for themselves (frequently possible
because many Adirondack sites have multiple lean-tos, etc.)

This book was quick, easy, and fun to read.  Or, it would make great privy
reading.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

P.S.  My other book reviews including eight books related to the A.T. can be
found at: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/bookreviews.html  -MF

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor