[at-l] Pot farms in the National Forests

Linda Benschop athummingbird at dnet.net
Wed Jul 25 11:17:31 CDT 2007

Many years ago I was taking in foster children.  One boy, 14 years old,
seemed to doing so well.  He was never a good student but, since he had
been with me, he seemed to be "blossoming".  He had a new hobby,
horticulture.  It seemed to me that he just might have found a future
career in gardening.  He had his drawers full of egg cartons and lights
to help his plants grow.  They were growing so well that, before long,
he starting hanging them in my kitchen, and living room, windows.  I
constantly was praising him for his "green thumb", even bought him some
plant food and more lights.

One day there was a knock on the front door.  It was his principle and a
policeman.  I was telling them how great he was doing and about his
wonderful hobby.  I brought the men into the living room where they
seemed "very interested" in the plants.  They asked if there were any
others.  I proudly took them to his room and showing them all the new
plants that were started in his room.

They both started laughing and one said " You REALLY don't know what
these are, do you?"  I responded that I didn't know what they were
called.  They both laughed even harder and told me that our house was
filled with marijuana plants.  At that point, I was sure they they would
cart me off to jail, but they were very nice and didn't do a thing to me.

As they went back to his room to check it further, they found all kinds
of stolen items, including the American Flag that had been missing from
his school.

After that, I never again took in teenagers.  I also realized how many
things I DID NOT learn going to a Convent School all those years.

Hummingbird