[at-l] AT & CDT in one year

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 07:07:49 CDT 2007

And to me that's pretty fast. I don't think I could do it that fast.
Of course I'm over 60 and spend a lot of time taking photos as I go
and I don't hike light. But that's me. I did a 20 mile day once, but
that was with a day pack on a day hike. On longer outings with a full
pack I average 10.

So tell me... if you had writ a book about your hike and I had writ a
review of it that commented that you (IMO) hiked pretty fast, would
you have harassed me to change or withdraw my review? He did.

On 6/3/07, Felix J <athiker at smithville.net> wrote:
> Jim Bullard wrote:
>
> >Speed certainly is relative. When I posted a review of "A Walk for
> >Sunshine" on my website (currently down but I hope to get it back up
> >in a month or so) the author, Jeff Alt, took exception to my
> >characterization of his 147 day thru as "fast" and "hiking on a
> >schedule".
> >
> >I'm currently reading "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" by David Miller
> >who completed the trail in 146 days and makes no bones about the fact
> >that he is hiking on a schedule and covering a lot of miles each day.
> >AWOL however is older so the age difference may be the source of their
> >different perceptions. I expect too that each hiker judges their own
> >relative speed relative to those they "hang out with", the younger
> >crowd having a more competitive and energetic pace.
> >

> I did my hike in 155 days with 8 zeroes. 8 zeroes is way too many
> zeroes.  I wasn't on a schedule and wasn't competing with anyone. The
> only time I hiked what I'd consider fast was in the Shenandoah NP when I
> was hiking with Groovin' Moose. I hiked fast so I wouldn't be
> alone...not to compete with him.  Once we got out of SNP, I hiked faster
> than him! (That was because he twisted his ankle and took some days off
> in Waynesboro) "Fast" is relative to the hiker. Just like how much sleep
> a person needs. How much water someone needs. Or, how much money is enough.
>
> --
> Felix J. McGillicuddy
> ME-->GA '98
> "Your Move"