[at-l] the Solitude Log - anyone?

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 11:15:54 CDT 2007

On 6/13/07, Sloetoe <sloetoe at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Jim Bullard <jim.bullard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hmmmm? I have never thought of solitude as something
> > I could quantify. ... I think I prefer
> > to keep those brief interruptions, like the passing
> > clouds, on the periphery of my consciousness.
>
> ### Stay "out" longer. Or go where there are more
> people. Get to where the only voice you hear is your
> own. When you start having "dialogue" with yourself,
> you're about there: where dialogue with *others* has
> to be wrenched out. No "periphery" working there!
>
> beentoolongtoe

With all due respect Toe, I have a dialog with myself 80-90% of the time.
For me the ultimate in solitude is when the dialog ceases and I simply am. I
know there are those on AT-L who believe that it is necessary to be "out",
that is to say away from civilization, for a long time to achieve solitude,
inner peace, oneness with nature, whatever you want to call it. I grew up in
solitude and when I was confronted with "civilization" at the age of 12, I
went into a state of culture shock that lasted through my teens. I still
don't don't care for places with too many people but I easily slip into
solitude at every opportunity. It isn't about time, place or circumstances
(those those can help). It is a state of mind. To those who need a lot of
time in a place away from civilization to get there I say "go where you must
& find it" but hopefully in time you will learn to find it in yourself.

--
Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/