[at-l] Hiking and Divorce

Linda Benschop athummingbird at dnet.net
Fri Jun 15 08:25:23 CDT 2007

"Any individual that felt the need for this attention from another person
OBVIOUSLY was having marital problems to begin with."

Marsha,

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Marital problems don't just start on the trail.  If you have a healthy marriage at home, why wouldn't you still have one after you hike?  Cheaters cheat and, if that is what they do, it won't matter where they are.

My husband and I had planned a thru hike in 2003.  Then Jan had a serious back injury.  He can do a short day hike (which still causes a great deal of pain) but no more sections.  Since then, I have done some hiking with friends for a few days at a time.  But I don't want to be away from my husband long enough to do a thru hike.  That is my personal choice.  It was something that we planned and were looking forward to doing together.  I know that he would encourage and support me if I made the decision to go.  But I would miss him too much!

I admire people who do a thru when their spouse is not interested in hiking.  That doesn't mean that they have a bad marriage.  Just think about Hopeful whose wife does not want to hike.  Yet she supported and encouraged him through the entire hike.  She trusted him even when he called from a hotel room he was sharing with some young women hikers.  In a marriage you must have trust....when you are together and when you are apart.  If you do not have that it isn't going to last anyhow.

Hummingbird