[at-l] Regis Shivers GA->ME '03 passes

Sloetoe sloetoe at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 3 11:39:39 CST 2007

--- Jan Leitschuh <janl2 at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Oh man!
> I just read this. I believe this was "Buckeye" of
> '03.
> I can't believe he was 60-plus.
### My bad: Regis would be 58 at this year's Mohican.

> He was a good guy. Friendly, inclusive, a terrific
> and positive energy.
> In the middle of his AT thru hike, he ran his 10th
> 100-mile race.
>
> He passed me once in Pennsylvania, then got off the
> trail and returned to pass me again, much thinner.
> His wife, "Buckeye Babe" would meet him at
> trailheads with water and snacks.
>
> When I met him the second time, New Jersey, I think,
> it was with that gravely, disembodied voice coming
> up on me from behind: "Still got that limp, I
see..."
> Godspeed, Buckeye.

### Yeah Jan, that's Buckeye. For me, Regis *is* the
Mohican 100 run.

### I met him for the first time on Main Street in
Damascus, Virginia during Trail Days. I was walking
toward the park ("south" on the AT[!]) when I
half-recognized a shirt passing me in the crowd. A
voice inside said "there's something wrong with this
picture" -- something familiar but doesn't quite
belong. I turned around and amidst all the Trail
hoopla, spied a Mohican 100 shirt walking away from
me.

### I had first attempted Mohican in 2002, and
unknowingly ruined my chances of a finish by attending
a concert the previous Thursday and dancing/tapping my
feet for four hours. Still, the experience was
profound, and I knew that hundred milers were a good
distance for me. When I recognized the firetower on
Regis' shirt as he passed, I just *had* to spin around
and put together why something so "friendly" in my
mind seemed out of place for Appalachian Trail Days.
"Hey, MoHEEcan!" I called out, and Regis spun around,
an instant friend.

### I did not run Mohican that year due to a severe
soleus rip, and missed Regis's running with my
volunteer/pacer duties. In 2004, though, Regis played
cheerleader for the entire field, Diane and he running
around at aid station after aid station, it seemed
always on the move. I was running on 5 hours of sleep
for the previous two nights, and SO appreciated
his/THEIR encouragement as I motored along,
undertrained and sleep-deprived. Regis exuded 100%
confidence in my making it, and I was bound and
determined not to let a fellow throughhiker down.

### 2005 was almost the same story for me, fighting a
recalcitrant IT band that would NOT let me run more
than a mile or two at a time. Even though I had only
run ~50 miles in the preceeding seven weeks, I thought
I would at least cross the starting line and see what
happened. I was content with the idea of stopping
"whereever" on course, and volunteering for the rest
of the weekend. But we were all wearing our Regis
Ribbons on our numbers, and he and Diane were
*everywhere* that day, and always 100% positive on
everything and everybody.

### I had passed Regis Jr. on course, and let Regis
Sr. know of Jr.s IT band hampering *his* efforts (mine
MIRACULOUSLY never became an issue!!!). Regis's eyes
glinted up at me -- "Oh. He's tough. He'll make it." A
father's confidence! Regis Jr. had seemed *so* focused
on his ailing leg, and frustrated, and it was still
early-ish (40 or 50 miles?), and getting plenty hot
with the new Mill section of exposed road, and I was
worried that Dad's good wishes would not be enough to
see Son cross the line successfully. For the rest of
the run, for as much as my leg did *not* hurt me, I
monitored and wished and hoped and prayed for good
outcomes for both Regises. What a humbling,
exhilarating night.... what a memory.... long hours in
black forest on dead legs, wishing good vibes to those
two heroes, one fighting and cheering, the other
running.

### In the morning, I crossed the line -- an hour
faster than the year before. I positioned myself near
the finish, with food and a Guinness and legends like
Art Moore and Robin Fry, and of course, Regis Shivers
Sr. there to cheer his still running son Regis Jr.
across the line, not long after me. What a memory.

### I looked around the internet just now, and found a
memory from Too Fast, with whom Regis was to run the
AT in 2001 in 66 days. (Regis and Diane went a good
500 miles before having to drop.) In his finishing
notes on David Horton's Extreme Running website, Too
Fast wrote this:

"Finally, I must say thank you to Regis and Diane.  It
was very difficult to see them leave the trail;
however, we must always remember the accomplishments
of their journey.  They journeyed almost five hundred
miles through not only rugged Southern mountains, but
also the heat that is so often associated with the
South.  Reg and I shared so many laughs and tears
those two weeks we were together and I value our
friendship so much.  It is a real bummer that they did
not finish the entire AT; however, the failure would
have been the fear of not ever allowing one's self to
take on such a challenge.  I'm sure we will have many
miles of running together in the future.
Too Fast of Big Island, Virginia
[Appalachian Trail] Class of 2001"

"...However, the failure would have been the fear of
not ever allowing one's self to take on such a
challenge." That is so Regis. Is that why he had such
confidence in my undertrained and wounded efforts? Is
that why the father *knew* the son's likelihood of
success? Is the success made in the attempt? What a
statement for a life well lived, and well loved.

God Speed and God Bless, Regis.
I remain your "instant" friend,
sloetoe the hiker
Tom McGinnis the runner