[at-l] WB

Bob C ellen at clinic.net
Sun Mar 4 20:16:51 CST 2007

What? Not all serious.

Ponder this from White Blaze.

Little JOHNNY AND Jesse Jackson

Jesse Jackson, while visiting a primary school class, found
himself in the middle of a discussion related to words and their meanings. The
teacher asks the Rev. Jackson if he would like to lead the discussion of the
word "tragedy." So the illustrious leader asks the class for an example of
a "tragedy."

One little boy stood up and offered, "If my best friend, who lives
on a farm, is playing in the field and a runaway tractor comes along and
knocks him dead, that would be a tragedy."
No," says the Great Jes se Jackson, "that would be an accident."

A little girl raised her hand. "If a school bus carrying 50
children drove over a cliff killing everyone inside, that would be a tragedy."
"I'm afraid not," explains the exalted spiritual leader. "That's
what we would call a great loss."

The room goes silent. No other children volunteer. Rev. Jackson
searches the room. "Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a
tragedy?"

Finally, at the back of the room little Johnny raises his hand.
In a stern voice he says, "If a plane carrying the Rev. Jackson were
struck by a missile and blown to smithereens that would be a tragedy."

"Fantastic!" exclaims Jackson, "That's right. And can you tell me
why that wo uld d be a tragedy?"

"Well," says little Johnny, "Because it sure as hell wouldn't be a
great loss, and it probably wouldn't be an accident either."

Weary, who borrowed it from a White Blaze to make a point -- a massively serious point to, mind you.