[at-l] Advice, please on tents for my scouts

Lurker lurker1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 6 21:32:29 CST 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 19:37 -0500, Tamara Krebs wrote:
> I have been a Girl Guide leader for 9 years, always an assistant and never a
> Guider in Charge/Responsible Guider (head leader) cus I hate the paperwork
> and BS that comes with it.

Right!  I much prefer the 2d fiddle position.  I can enjoy the program
without having the headaches of being the big man.

The BSA has the same kind of restrictions that you mention.  Reasonable
adventure is great.  They really don't want you to have problems in the
field tho'.  Losing a boy (or an adult) is not a happy experience.  The
one we lost is still remembered, 30 years later.

As far as getting out in the woods, we do that, sometimes.  I prefer it
when we do and I think the boys do also.  We just can't force them into
the adventuresome lifestyle.  We have the "Guide to Safe Scouting".  If
we want to do anything, first we read the book.  It tells us what is
(non)permitted.

For what was intended to be a tongue in cheek response to Dawg's
comment, this has gotten way beyond anywhere I intended to go.  I am
glad that the Canadian GG have the opportunities to get out in the
woods.  My daughters refused to be girl scouts because of their
preception that the GSA was waymore into little housekeepers than hikers
in the woods.  My youngest was irritrated for years that she couldn't be
a boy scout.

Lurker