[at-l] About those tents....

Richard Calkins racalkins at msn.com
Thu Mar 8 17:24:41 CST 2007

Folks:

I can't thank you enough for all of your advice -- and wisdom, including the
tongue-in-cheek variety!

The ensuing thread has restored my confidence that I am going about this
thing the right way:

-- accepting (but not liking) that it is a different world out there from
the one I grew up in, and thus recognizing that one cannot be too careful in
terms of certain kinds of risks (like youth protection training and two-deep
leadership to avoid the devastating impact that a single predator can have
on kids);

-- putting up with the bureacracy that arises from law suits, as the price
we all pay for some individuals believing that they deserve compensation if
they suffer an "injury" of any kind (and that's not about lawyers, but their
clients -- encouraged by like-thinking juries);

-- spending classroom time on the essential elements of wilderness survival,
and emphasizing the importance of detailed planning, careful preparation,
and sound judgement in decision-making during the excursion -- using many of
the most recent successful, and unsuccessful, mountain rescue missions to
illustrate the key points;

-- and then getting them OUT THERE where they can discover for themselves
both the joys and the hazards of life in the back country, as there is
simply no substitute for experience.

My job is to provide example, advice and guidance as they leave their
comfortable suburban "nest" and try their wings in a more challenging and
distinctly less forgiving environment.  Our first event, for example, was a
ten mile hike in 18 degree weather, with winds gusting to 30 mph, where they
learned about "layering"; our second was another ten miles over ice and snow
where they learned what trail conditions do to travel time, and something
about the effects of gravity when you  aren't paying enough attention to
where you put your foot every single step....

Our next hike will be a 13.5 mile trek, with full backpacks, northbound on
the AT between Snickers Gap (about 20 miles south of Harpers Ferry) and
Key's gap, with a lunchtime stop at the Blackburn Trail Center.  I'm sort of
hoping we'll have torrential rain for that one.  Nothing so far has even
dented their sense of adventure!  (Did I mention we have seen foxes, and
hawks, and great blue herrons, and even a turtle last weekend -- an early
sign of spring along the C&O canal tow path.)

Our first backpacking trip will  be the last weekend in March, and the kids
are really excited about that.  Note I did not say boys: to accomodate our
daughters, my troop recently organized a coed Venture Crew.  My own
daughter, along with two of my sons, is participating in my outdoor
adventure program -- in preparation for Philmont in 2008!

Oh, and about those tents.  I have decided they will need to provide their
own -- to ensure each scout develops a sense of accountability for something
he or she will depend on for protection against the weather, and against
bugs, and against foraging animals that come in the night if you are foolish
enough to contaminate your tent with food.  I'll be making available to the
scouts and their parents the full list of suggestions I have received in
response to my original email on this topic.

Again, my thanks to all who responded.  What an amazing community!!!

cheers,
Longhaul