[at-l] Doctor Explains Proper Tick Removal

Art Cloutman art at crystalacresnh.com
Sun May 20 16:28:41 CDT 2007

I read an article several years back about tick bites.  I don't
remember which hiker related publication that  I was reading at the
time.  The article related a non-scientific study of the frequency of
tick bites amoung the general public and nudists.  It appeared that
hiking nudists had fewer tick bites.  The theory suggested by the
study group was that ticks like to find protection under waistbands,
hat bands, snug clothing, and other places where they are not likely
to be brushed off or fall off before they can set their teeth or
whatever devices they use to attach themselves to people or other
animals.  Now, I'm not suggesting that we should hike naked, but, the
study kind of makes me question the logic of the experts.  Experts
have been known to be wrong.  There is certainly a lot of sense in
trying to prevent the buggers from getting on your skin to begin with
but I have found them on my body after following those
recommendations.  One time  it was not while hiking but from working
in my back yard with long sleeves, gloves, long pants with socks on
the out side of the pants, buttons done up on my shirt, bug spray,
hat, and more.  Found a tick on my arm, got the bulls eye and
ultimately a scary bout of lime disease.  Just thought I would
mention it.

>http://news.yahoo.com/s/koco/13350200;_ylt=AmY9g6TLeCrmlKsGSEqUejLMWM0F
>
>Doctor Explains Proper Tick Removal*Fri May 18, 7:34 PM ET*
>
>More ticks are emerging across the metro. Doctors say there are right and
>wrong ways to remove them.
>  Nail polish remover and Vaseline are some methods people use to remove
>ticks. But doctors recommend cleaning the area and firmly pulling the tick
>off.
>
>"The only one removal technique is with tweezers," said Dr. Jamie Lewis, O.U.
>Medical Center.
>
>Doctors also said it is OK to leave part of the tick head inside. It will
>eventually work its way out.
>
>"The dangerous part is to squeeze the tick body or have them regurgitate
>into you or to your animal. Thats what's more likely to cause illness,"
>Lewis said.
>
>To avoid getting bit by a tick, stay on cleared trails and paths, use bug
>repellent, wear long pants and for extra protection, tuck your pants inside
>your boots and socks, experts said.

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman