[at-l] Backpack recs

cvano at tmail.com cvano at tmail.com
Thu Nov 8 23:18:34 CST 2007

Being from the old school, I use a big frame pack.  I like it a lot.  It
features lots of pockets, compartments and places to tie stuff.  There's
also a perfect pocket on the top of the flap that fits my 2 liter
Platapus perfectly.  The drawbacks are noise, it needs to be nearly full
to look and feel right, and it usually weighs a short ton unless I fill
it with empty milk jugs.

Is there anywhere to try out (rent, borrow, steal, or at least try on)
these new ultra light packs?  I'm used to carrying a big load but have
recently purchaced mostly ultra-lite gear.  While I like the lighter
loads, my pack was designed to be heavier and fuller.  There are no
compression straps.

I have no problem with mail order or internet shopping except for packs,
sleeping bags, and shoes.  These I MUST try on.  Thanks