[at-l] Backpack recs

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 11:19:27 CST 2007

I realized I never mentioned which packs I've used.  I've got my first
generation ULA P-1 with me in Asia.  Unfortunately, it took a bit of a
thrashing on Air Asia last week (2" long rip) so as soon as I can track down
a scrap of an appropriate material (ripstop nylon?), I'll have one of the
many seamstress/tailor types in the area do a quick patch.

Anyway, my P-1 (a frameless pack) is old enough that my gear test report has
apparently been removed from backpackgeartest.org.  No surprise though.
Reading old reports for gear that has been changed significantly doesn't do
anyone any favors.  It's a great pack for warm weather hiking and if my
stuff was a bit less bulky (I'm 6'1"), I could probably use it for spring
and fall, too.

I also have a Kelty Vapor (I think they're called the Cloud now).  It's a
good pack (very durable Spectra cloth fabric) but definitely not worth
paying list price.  If you can get one used for a song (I saw one once in
the consignment basement at IME in North Conway, NH), it might be worthwhile
though.

As for retirement, I highly recommend it when young enough to still enjoy
it.  ;-}

Mara - 41 and enjoying retirement in Thailand
Stitches, AT99

--
Visit my Travels and Trails web site:

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor