[at-l] Old Phones

Doug Mathews mathews at uga.edu
Fri Nov 16 07:30:52 CST 2007

My grandmother told me that when they first got a phone in rural
Missouri, they had to string their own line from the nearest neighbor
with a phone.  She said if there was an emergency, the operator would
ring all the phones at once and tell everyone what the problem was.

Of course she and her sister hid under a big bush when they saw there
first airplane flyover thinking it was a giant bird. Her dad brought
their first car home and when he got to the gate, he forgot how to
stop it and she said he was hollering "WHOA" as he crashed through the gate.

Those pleasant times of the past, huh?

Doug

Mainframe GA-->ME 2002