[at-l] Lookin'

Bror8588 at aol.com Bror8588 at aol.com
Tue Nov 20 08:28:16 CST 2007

I have not been inundated with begging letters from the Maine ATC as I have
with other organizations.  Once a year they send me a notice.  Not  bad.

Another person (in a completely different realm) complained that they were
receiving too many begging letters and that they preferred to give just once a
month but many organizations depend upon steady support on a month to month
basis.  If an organization is worthy to be considered for one donation then
they are probably worthy for more frequent support.

I usually throw out those requests that I choose not to honor, and give as  I
am able to those organizations that seem to meet the needs of those I choose
to aid. As far as the Appalachian Trail Conservation group I used to be a
member  when it was a Conference, but now there does not seem to be a membership
as  such, , but a variety of levels of support.  I wonder what their
Membership  fee is?

Some organizations have several layers of membership with several layers of
benefits (books, cocktail parties, lecture admission, etc.) so  that
membership can be enjoyed according to the level of involvement one  might choose.  I
think that Maintainers should receive automatic membership  in the ATC for
recognition of their work. But that is not why they do what they  do,  Still, it
would be a nice gesture (at least for the Lead Maintainers  or Section
Maintainers).

It is good to be generous but choices have to be made and sometimes that is
harder than the actual writing of the check(s).

Skylander