[at-l] Volunteerism [WAS Re: Lookin']

Carla & Dave Hicks daveh at psknet.com
Tue Nov 20 15:28:59 CST 2007

As always, YMMV.

However, I do not understand the "With all due  respect to volunteers, it's
not like it's a full time job for them."

IMHO,  volunteers, part-time (or otherwise) built the AT in the first place.
What is it about safeguarding that requires "pros"?

Or is it NOT that there is a difference in the "Nature" of job itself; but
rather that the issue of a need for "Pro" is all about the current times, or
it is something of  generational thing?

Volunteers built the AT and passed the baton on to folk like me.

After 50 of maintaining it, improving it, safeguarding it, etc., I'm being
told get out the way old timer.  This is no job for the folks like you, even
younger ones of the volunteer ilk.  Or maybe the message is that in the 21's
century Volunteerism, itself, no longer works.  Or maybe there is something
else going on that I don't get.

In any case, I think my generation did a good job of maintaining the AT,
improving it, safeguarding it, my small contributions not withstanding.

However, I've hiked the AMC area, a few times.  The mountain ranges, the
views, etc haven't changed all that much over the years.  But IMHO, the trail
"experience" has moved too far from the AT, which I have loved, maintained,
improved, safeguarded all these years.

I hate the idea that the "Pros" with their full-time job of protecting their
jobs and the institution's bottom line, which pays their salary, might turn
the AT into a paying enterprise by converting the entire thing into a type of
environ-tourism cash cow and/or writing off those sections that don't pay.

IMHO, the green fire in the belly that creates the imposable and defends it
comes from the true believer volunteer, not from the mercenary, just doing
his/her job 40 hours a week.

Chainsaw