[at-l] Volunteerism [WAS Re: Lookin']

wdlists at optonline.net wdlists at optonline.net
Sun Nov 25 10:48:46 CST 2007

Stealth maintenance is a problem for existing volunteers assigned to a trail. All the AT in the NY/NJ section have an assigned maintainer. If they get a report of a problem on their section they go out to fix it. If it is already fixed when they get there that is discouraging and possibly expensive. Some of them paid $20 for a train trip to maintain their piece or drove for an hour. Of course no maintainer complains about someone picking up a random piece of litter or two or kicking sticks off the trail. Reporting deficiencies is always welcome. There are plenty of trails (non-AT) waiting to have a maintainer assigned. There are also AT monitoring positions available. Hundreds of other jobs are ready and waiting for casual drop in, e.g. the Bear Mt. Project is doing massive relocations for at least the next several years and crews are on site almost everyday and will gladly find something for you to do.