[at-l] Is....

Sloetoe sloetoe at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 7 14:05:01 CDT 2007

### And "innings" *were*  originally called outtings,
but were changed to prevent confusion with regard to
going on a baseball outting, to watch "outtings". The
rule was changed just after the Civil War, but was not
made complete -- i.e., baseball terminology still
retires a side with three "outs" rather than the
proposed three "ins." These artifacts of sports
terminology (and more) are available at
http://www.whyhomeplate.com or
http://www.waswhoeveratfirst.com (or its companion
site)