[at-l] Tendonitis (status)

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 14:12:05 CDT 2007

You should only use cold packs for tendon problems. Cold reduces the
swelling. Ice it 15-20 minutes twice/day with the leg elevated. Wrap it in
an ACE bandage for compression. The runners acronym for tendinitis treatment
is RICE, Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation.

Hot packs are for muscle aches/pain to promote blood flow in the muscle.
Tendinitis takes a relatively long time to cure. Check out the possibility
of a tear. It's good that you are stretching. If there is no tear, patience
and diligent stretching are key. There is a good illustration here <
http://tms.ecol.net/Fitness/calfstr.htm> of how to stretch. Some people hang
their heels off a stair/step to stretch the Achilles. That's risky because
you can easily overdo it. You want to fell the tension but you don't want to
go so far that you tear something. You might want to spend some time with a
physical therapist. Assuming there is no tear in the tendon I've had more
luck resolving such issues through PT than with pills. There is some
information here <http://www.drpribut.com/sports/spachil.html> as well. I
didn't try the heal lifts he recommends but they might help too.

On 10/11/07, JPL <jplynch at crosslink.net> wrote:

> My tendonitis seems to be getting marginally better, but very slowly.  I
> still can't push off on the ball of my foot.  A small "knot" has developed
> on the tendon, and the pain has migrated upward a bit, away from where the
> tendon joins the heel (I'm guess about this 'migration'; its hard to
> tell).
> I can walk but with a limp.  I'm not doing any hiking, but just everyday
> walking, about 4-5000 steps a day.  My doctor now wants me to have an MRI,
> thinking that there is a small tear in the tendon.  I use heat and cold
> packs, and gently stretch the tendon several times a day.
> Thanks for all the input.

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/