[at-l] Trail conditions November through December?

Felix J athiker at smithville.net
Sat Oct 27 12:32:27 CDT 2007

Patrick wrote:
> . I was looking at getting on at Harper's
> Ferry, WV and heading south -- what kind of snow can I expect? I know
> the mountains get pretty big in that area and I wasn't sure if the
> trail would still be passable.

I seriously doubt you'd have/get enough snow to make the trail
impassable. Obviously, that's not to say it isn't possible to get
'dumped on' (why am I think of the hiker formerly known as Mrs. Felix?),
but that early in the year, I'd be surprised. And, if you do, it can be
incredibly beautiful to take a few zeros in a snowed-in shelter. Plus,
the AT in that area is general not too terrible far from a road...in the
event of snow-forced bail out.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98