[at-l] hike-a-hundred Re: Trail conditions November through December?

Sloetoe sloetoe at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 12:09:36 CDT 2007

--- JPL <jplynch at crosslink.net> wrote:

> Has anyone ever done a non-stop of about 100 miles
> on the AT hiking day and night?

### I doubt that more than a handful have "hiked" a
hundred miles in 24 hours, unsupported. First off, to
hike the distance means a pace of 14:24/mile. If you
slow down to 2 miles an hour on an uphill, you've got
to crack it down to 8:00 or 10:00/mile to make up for
it. Thusly, 24 hours in a hundred mile race is a fair
time. (Oh, and that's with fairly massive support --
no food or water carried except for immediate
consumption, changes of clothing/SOCKS available, etc.
etc.) Around this time of year, David Horton usually
arrives in the Fontana area with some "Special Idiot"
friends to run/hike over to Davenport, about 70-80
miles, unsupported except for Newfound Gap, usually in
about 28-30 hours. That's one hardy standard. Some
others recently (last 18 months?) sought to hike
Shenandoah in 24 hours, but with substantial support
(I think). Ice/sneaux usually play nasty with these
efforts.

Anywho, going it unsupported would be a pretty big
deal. In my dreams, I'd think about that.....

waysloetoe

"Any idiot can run a marathon, but it takes a special
kind of idiot to run an ultra." Alan Cabelly