[at-l] The gathering, Ruminations of an old f...

grey.owl at comcast.net grey.owl at comcast.net
Tue Sep 11 08:39:03 CDT 2007

We will not make it to the Gathering this year.  Two weeks ago my wife were in Gettysburg area camping at Caledonia State Park.  We were updating our section of the trail for the Companion.  We both had a great time; visiting a farmers market, a potter (not Harry) and spending way too much money at a vineyard.  We also stopped by the Iron Masters Hostel and talked to Donna.  We all had a good time during our visit and I hope that some of you drop by and see Donna.  I know that she would enjoy the company.

Why am I not going to the gathering?  First is Celtic Fest (Music and drinking), then we are going to visit a friends vineyard (music and drinking) and finally there is a planned visit from my daughter.  My wife and I are also planning a fall trip to Connecticut (with some hiking).  We need to save some money for this trip as we area planning a vineyard trip while we are there.

We have a big trip to the southwest that we are planning for next march and need some time to plan the trip.  We are actually heading to southern Utah, Edward Abbey Country.  I am going to take my copy of Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire on our trip to the southwest.  You can say it is a spiritual journey for me.  Many years ago when I was a wee lad (the Truman Administration) I went hiking through Bryce Canyon with my dad.  On the same trip we visited Moab.  Did I meet Cactus Ed?  I don't think so, but them would a 4 year old remember?  Besides Cactus Ed was the type of person that my dad would have stayed away from.  I wish that I had meet Cactus Ed when I was older.

You all have a great gathering and take a hike.

Peace

Bob