[at-l] new henry shires tyvek tent

Amy Forinash amy at forinash.net
Fri Aug 1 06:06:24 CDT 2008

On Jul 31, 2008, at 10:42 PM, Cutter wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Amy Forinash <amy at forinash.net>
> wrote:
> I'm looking at it and I don't know whether to be impressed or dubious.
>
> http://www.tarptent.com/sublite.html
>
> <quote>Fine for all night moderate rains but not recommended for
> long-duration intense rainstorms.</quote>
>
> Sounds like a fine tent, so long as you're a meteorologist.

I emailed Henry last night to ask about east coast weather and the
sublite.  He says the jury is still out about long term use here, but
that it should be fine for shorter duration trips.

Then I remembered wearing Frogg Toggs and just how wet the jacket got
at the seams during the year I wore it when it rained every day.  I
think in a month on the trail I had one day where it didn't rain.  And
the wrists on that thing really never dried out.  So yeah, if you're a
bit of a meteorologist and you think it's going to be a "wet year"
this would be the wrong tent.  Okay for a drought year.  Probably
better for a section hiker like me who can get a useful weather
prediction for the time they're out.

-amy