[at-l] ever

Steve Miller atlists at millers-house.org
Mon Aug 4 21:57:51 CDT 2008

Having crossed the IDL seven times in the past year, I have to side with
Camo on this one.  When it is noon on the IDL (180 degrees longitude),
it is midnight on the Prime Meridian through England.  At that moment,
Europe is in the new day, but North America is still in the old day.

Theoretically speaking, as midnight "approaches" the IDL from the east,
more and more of the world is on the same day until the moment it
reaches the IDL, when we all are on the same day.  As it moves west, a
new day begins west of the IDL.

An interesting tool called Sunclock from Mapmaker.com lets you advance
time to see what day/time it is and will be anywhere.

Of course, the true IDL wiggles its way around the 180 meridian, keeping
the eastern tip of Russia in the same day as the rest, and the western
most islands of Alaska in the same day as Juneau, among other examples.
Because of this wandering IDL, the reality is that it is never truly the
same day everywhere in the world.

Steve "Up to Somethin'"
"Does anybody really know what time it is?"
"Does anybody really care?"