[at-l] Report - Trail Magic at Crawford Notch

Marsha Lee atrailhiker at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 14 07:12:03 CDT 2008

What a nice way to spend a birthday RD!  Darn rain.

Nice company eh?

Have fun at the Long Trail Festival.

Love
Marsha

From: rockdancer97 at comcast.net
To: at-l at backcountry.net
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:12:47 -0400
Subject: [at-l] Report - Trail Magic at Crawford Notch

Short
report: weather off & on showers Thurs & Fri, nice on Sat. Finally met
Susan Buchanan! and we fed about 19 hikers! with help from Goldthumb '97 and
Stitches '99.

Thursday: arrived about 3 PM and set up with a cooler, veggies &
fruit, and a Whisperlite to make hot water for tea, hot chocolate, etc. At 9 pm
it was dark, no one walked by, although I have to admit at times the rain was
thick enough for me to miss them if they were more than 10 feet away. Goldthumb
('97) didn't arrive at dark as promised so I figured he was working
emergency crew with all the flash floods happening about 50 miles S. Stealth
camped in the rain.

Friday: set up by 8 AM, Goldthumb arrives - turned out we never talked
about which trailhead we were doing this year! My fault... With off &on
showers we hosted the following hikers, at times crowded together under the
Walrus tarp we set up:
Sea to
Land - NoBo
Smoky
- SoBo
Brian
from Maine - heading S after finishing on July 18 at Katahdin, on a
YoYo.
Mountain Mic - NoBo
Stomps
& Shufflen
Thinker
Lotus
Susan,
Corley and Shutterbug from http://www.get-athike.org/ in support
of the Great Eastern Trail
Boot
Strap (from S. Africa by way of New Zealand)
(Billy) the Kid
Wing
It
Fire

For
many of the southbounders this was their first trail magic - I'm especially
proud of that! Stitches showed up around 3 PM with hotdogs, snack cakes & a
birthday cake for me! Lots of fun hearing trail stories in the rain, delaying
some of these hikers for several hours. Great way to spend a birthday, I
recommend it.

Sat:
Set up early again and we treated 4 hikers. The only names I have are MacGyver
& Godzilla, southbound. By noontime I was feeling poorly and decided that
although the weather was much, much better I really should get back home for
rest. Stitches was going to continue for the rest of the day, and perhaps on
Sunday. If it works out I'll try to find her again this week and maybe get a day
in the Whites before heading to the Long Trail Festival on the
weekend.