[at-l] Karl's Trying to Break 47 day speed record

Shelly Morgan shellydmorgan at tds.net
Sun Aug 17 13:19:33 CDT 2008

Toey, Toey, Toey, LOL... down boy!  If you want to pick on me through
semantics of the labels I chose to differentiate between hiking styles or
pace then I'd just have to say that you are being a silleh man.  Hehe

I honestly wrestled with the two words before I typed them up on my screen.
How does one place labels on folks that while inherently drawing lines would
simply highlight the differences I wanted to discuss?  Because as we ALL
know... when we get out there we are all the same.  We are all HIKERS
regardless of the pace we go; miles transversed over a single day; day,
section, or thru hiker; personal challenges that are individually presented
to us; carry a cell phone or not; carry an umbrella or not; personal
preference for sustenance; and the list of varying degrees of hiking styles
and/or personal preferences can go on ad nauseum.

You see I chose different words to describe only the hiking styles.  Now, I
may have been most inadequate in doing so and for that I will apologize.
However, I honestly mean no disrespect when I say that I see speed hiking as
a waste (FOR MYSELF ONLY).  I tried to make it very clear that this is my
own opinion and thus why I choose a different hiking style.  I NEVER said it
was a waste to the speed hikers or to anyone else that wants to get out
there and try it.  But, as for me and myself I like a much slower pace.
That is just me.

Yes, we each "savor" our own hikes in our own way.  As I stated mayhap it
was poor word choice on my part but again it was only my inadequate wording
and not "belittling" ANYONE's hike.

Toey, there's NO WAY that you'll catch me doing a 47 mile day.  Sheesh!  I'd
KILL myself.  I know that I am not as physically fit as I would need to be
in order to do this.  And, I envy those of us that are.

And, even though I do choose a different hiking style I DO still respect
different hiking styles of others and have learned much from every kind of
hiking style I have learned about.  To me, there is no contradiction in how
I feel.  I think that I outlined it very clearly.

You see... after getting to meet and know YOU in person at the Soruck in
what was it?  2005? and our little excursion with the kids I learned quite a
bit from you.  You may not remember it, but as we were headed back down the
ridge above the NOC you were doing this cute little running where you took
very, very tiny strides.  Blondie and I had giggled over it.  There you
bounced down the trail with that ADORABLE hat one of the boiz had made for
you.  Then you had explained that by taking the shorter however quicker
stride our bodies do not expend as much energy as taking much longer and
physically laborious strides.  I took this grain of knowledge and applied it
to my own hiking.  Now, when I need or choose to pick up my pace I no longer
throw my leg out there trying to take the longest stride possible to cover
distances in a shorter time.  I simply emulate you and your speed hiking
style and take the shorter, quicker strides to cover the distance much
quicker without wearing myself out nearly as bad had I used my old way of
doing it.

So, take that word "belittling" and rethink that after rereading my original
post and this one.  Don't YOU "belittle" me for trying to show how we each
have our own way of hiking and enjoying hiking.  I do respect others way of
hiking, and honestly do not care if anyone likes or not the way I choose to
hike.

Wubs ja, Toey!  You going to the Gathering?  I miss talking to you in
person.

Shelly Morgan

aka - Tenacious Tanasi

aka - Shell-no e-y