[at-l] Karl's Trying to Break apples and oranges...

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 13:39:44 CDT 2008

--- On Mon, 8/18/08, Felix J <AThiker at smithville.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure that it's fair, or that there's a
> reason, to discuss 'running' the trail while discussing
> 'hiking' the trail.

### The context, Your Felixness, was that you traversed the southern miles faster than many would opine as [pick one: normal, average, prudent, enjoyable, savorable, feasible, reasonable, or seasonally-adjusted] yet, as no one would wish to dis the Felix, no one (that I am aware of) has ever said, "Felix hiked too fast." That would elicit howls of protest (from everyone, perhaps, except SOBOs, for whom stacking 20+ mile days and hiking hours after dark had long been habit). Similarly, Brian Robinson was passed over when he first came to the list for advice; but by the time of the Gathering, under the imprimatur of Mrs Gorp (and others), he was a hero. Many termed TubaMan a stunt-puller (thankfully, few on this list, iirc); he was a treat at the 2002? Gathering. Blah blah blah. But as you yourself above wish to distinguish between "running" a trail and "hiking" the trail, as if there's ANY difference at all besides pace, then I'd pose the same challenge
 to you: hike, JUST ONCE, a 30 or 40 or 50 mile day, and tell me straight at the end that it wasn't just as worthy (defined any way you'd like), and I'll pay you $20, paint myself purple, and spin like a banshee til I drop. If you can't do that, then you pay me $0 (that's zero dollars), but you must immediately rehike Damascus->South, introducing yourself to all you pass with "Hi. I'm "Speed-Hiking Skum".

Deal?