[at-l] fay

rcli4 at comcast.net rcli4 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 21 17:31:34 CDT 2008

They are starting to close the bridges here in Jax.  The wind is picking up.  It has been raining most of the day.  I fired up the generator to make sure it still works, I'm good.  I-10 just closed due to flooding.

Clyde

From: bluetrail at aol.com
Fay is about to drown me in Oviedo (slightly northeast of Orlando).  Just talked to my son, who's at home.  (University gave us Tuesday off and all we got was some minor rain; today it's VERY windy and flooding everywhere, but we're at work.)  Water is coming 1/3 of the way up my porch.  During 2004 I had sandbagged the two sliders to the porch.  Didn't do it this year, but now I'm wishing I had.  I've never taken out flood insurance.

There are steady 30-35 mph winds with gusts much higher.  As I went to bed last night, there was a steady sound of little broken limbs/sticks hitting the roof.  Yesterday morning something large enough to shake the house fell (and that's with a concrete slab foundation), but in a rainy survey of the yard and roof, I couldn't find anything.  Maybe it fell in a neighbor's yard?

Front yard slopes and is well drained.  The backyard now has ankle deep standing water in some places and the rain's still coming down at a good clip.

To make it hiking related, I have my backpacking stove and petzel out in case the power goes.  Also, all my favorite "after work" hiking places are going to be flooded for days.  I'm talking waist deep in some places.

Joan
bluetrail at aol.com