[at-l] Niday trail

Charles Davidson chaseat99 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 17:12:02 CDT 2008

HI Gang,
       In the latest Long Distance Hiker newsletter I found the article
called The Niday Lean-to by Dan Welch AT 73 particularly interesting. I
enjoy reading the history of and walking old AT routes such as The
Pinnacles of Dan (Virginia). A 1948 trail guide lists The Pinnacles as
the most difficult section on the entire AT. I have also walked the Old
Niday trail. The Niday trail crosses private property and most blue
blazes were removed in a timber cutting that is located just beyond the
AT's protected view shed. This trail is located on the Eastern
Continental Divide  which separates the Gulf and Atlantic water sheds.
The AT here lies in the RATC section of Sinking Creek Mountain.
    Another historical article on a nearby location is in the NBATC
area. Its about the folks that lived in this little valley before the AT.

    Brown Mountain Creek - Before the AT

http://www.nbatc.org/1992Interview.htm

                                      Also mentioned in this pdf with
some pictures and maps