[at-l] my exciting new adventure

Amy Forinash amy at forinash.net
Fri Aug 29 07:47:30 CDT 2008

I have managed to weasel two weeks of vacation out of my work.  And so
I am, of course, leaving my brand new husband home and going out in
the woods for two weeks of stinkiness and foot and back pain!  Because
I am a hiker, dammit.

Delee and I are leaving in a what I hope is less than two weeks.
We're going to start in Maryland where Delee's hamburger-resembling
feet made us get off a couple of years ago.  And then we're hiking as
far north as we can get in two weeks.  Which, being that we're two
middle aged women with desk jobs and bad backs, isn't very far.  But
still, despite the stinkiness and the pain, it sounds idyllic.  And
you know why?  No alarm clock.  I can eat whatever I'm willing to
carry.  And I don't have to give any kind of shots to anybody,
quadrupedal or otherwise, the whole time!  (Some people would say you
could do this at a resort with massages and pool boys, but what they
don't realize is how pervasive the internet is.  If I can sniff
ethernet, I can work.  It's awful.)

We're in the "where the heck did I put that stuff sack after the last
time" and "what kind of replacement filter cartridge does this thing
take" stage of packing.  Oh, I can hardly wait.  I already bought
various food items with long shelf lives to put in my food bag.

-amy