[at-l] Need input on tent and sleeping bag selections

Amy Forinash amy at forinash.net
Thu Dec 4 19:21:41 CST 2008

On Dec 4, 2008, at 7:06 PM, Georgiamountainwoman wrote:

> The tent I was interested in was the Big Agnes Super Light Seedhouse
> for 1 person, weighing only 2 lb. 13 oz.  Also, did anyone regret
> getting a 1 person, and wished they had a 2 person tent for
> themselves instead ?  Has anyone had any problems with getting wet
> using this particular tent ?

I haven't used it, myself.  However I have used 1 vs 2 man tents, and
I love the extra room.  :)

Have you looked at tarp tents?  For 2 lb 2 oz you could get a Squall
2, which is a 2 man tent with 8 inches more headroom than the
seedhouse, for about the same price.

www.tarptent.com

> I currently have a 7 lb -10 degree synthetic sleeping bag, which I
> love cause it keeps me warm, but the weight is totally unreasonalbe
> for a thru-hike.  Up at Neels Gap they were showing me a Montbell
> UltraLight Super Stretch Down Hugger 0 degrees sleeping bag, which
> weighed also 2 lbs. 13 oz.  It was pretty pricey like over $400.
> Has anybody ever used this type bag ?  Did it hold up well for how
> light weight is was ?  Did it indeed keep you warm ?

I have been drooling over the 20 degree version, myself!

I use froogle when I shop, for price comparisons.