[at-l] Need input on tent and sleeping bag selections

Leslie Booher lbooher at charter.net
Thu Dec 4 19:23:46 CST 2008

You say to use plastic, Bruce, but I really prefer Tyvek as a ground cloth.  You wash it on cold and dry it on air before you carry it, and it will be soft and not noisy.  Very light weight.  I have another piece that I use as an emergency tarp when need be.  I've used it over my sleeping bag a few times to get a bit more warmth.  And it's good advice, caterfly, to lay it on the floor of the shelter before you set up your stuff.  It keeps your stuff clean and delineates your personal space.

Y'all remember the hiker named Tyvek a few years back, who had made all his equipment out of Tyvek?  That was the whitest outfit I ever saw!  <G>

a'bear

 Most any plastic works for the ground sheet, something around 2.5 to 3 feet by 7 to 8 feet should work well.  You will use it under your kit in shelters as well as when you use the tarp over night